Wednesday 7 May 2014

Pretty Paperwork

I've been wanting a letter tray for a while now. Bank statements, pay slips, bills and other bits of paper get left on our dining table all the time. I wanted somewhere to put paper while it waited to be sorted or filed... and six months later I finally got around to making this:


It's not perfect but it's a lot cheaper than the pretty ones you get in shops (in fact it was free as I already had everything I needed) and it's a lot prettier than either a cardboard box (which is what it is, essentially) or the cheap ones you can find in pound shops (still more expensive than making this!).

So, here's how I did it.

First I cut one side off a cereal box so I had a tray shape and flat piece of card board. Then I used the spare cardboard from the open end of the box to make little 'L' shaped supports and stuck the flat piece into the box to make a second tray using a glue gun (I know that sounds confusing but the pictures should hopefully make it clear!).





Next I covered the top, sides and a bit of the inside with some pretty wrapping paper. I used a mixture of about half and half PVA glue and water for this. I didn't bother to cover the bottom or right inside the lower tray and it won't ever be seen but you could if you wanted to be thorough. If you want to cover the inside of the lower tray, I would suggest doing this before you stick the upper tray in.



I then left the tray to dry for 24 hours before coating it all over with the glue and water mix. I did this twice leaving it to dry 24 hours each time. And that's it. Now I have a pretty letter tray to put all my un-organised paperwork in!

No comments:

Post a Comment