Friday 2 May 2014

15 Minute Basket Rain Cover

Now it's spring and I've fixed up an old bike, I'm intending to cycle more (we'll see how that goes...). British spring weather (or in fact, all-year round weather), however, means that I need my bike basket to be shower-proof. I got this very useful basket last year and it's great, it clips on and off easily and holds a good amount whilst being very light-weight. Although the main basket is made of a shower-proof canvas, the top is just a thin fabric drawstring so I decided to make a cover for it. This is really simple and quick (and probably not very durable but it will do for light use). It took me about 15 minutes including collecting the materials from around the house and tidying up!

What you need:

  • Large plastic bag (I used a bag for life one)
  • Elastic
  • Sewing machine with coordinating thread

My basket has a detachable hoop at the top so I took this off to draw round it, if your's doesn't, just turn your basket upside down and draw around it onto the inside of your plastic bag (there should be a few cm spare all around it, otherwise you need a bigger bag!)


Next cut out your bag leaving a few cm around your line. You can measure and draw another line to be exact but I just did it by eye. 


I then realised that the sharpie line could be seen from the other side of the bag, so I wiped it off with some nail varnish remover.


Next sew your elastic around the edge of your circle using a long zig-zig stitch and stretching the elastic as you go.


Put on your basket and you're ready for a rainy day!





1 comment: