Thursday 25 April 2013

DIY Glitter Striped Make-Brush/Pencil Pot

Anyone who knows me will know that I am bit of a sucker for anything glittery. I'm not sure how this happened, or why...I used to consider glitter a little kitsch and childish, but in recent years I have come to fully embrace sparkles, and am always looking for ways to incorporate glitter into my life! So when I decided I needed a new make-up brush holder, I immediately tried to think of ways to include a little sparkle. This brush pot is super easy to make and could be used to hold brushes or pens and pencils...or anything else!



As you can see the holder I chose had a cute butterfly handle. I got this particular one from a shop called TIGER (side note: TIGER is by far my favourite shop at the moment. Imagine a cross between the market place in Ikea and an arts and crafts store. I literally want everything they stock! Unfortunately, there are only a few dotted around the UK at the moment, but hopefully they will open a few more stores soon!) Anyway, the point is you can choose any plain white pot, mug or cup you want!

Here's how I did it...

What you need:
*Plain white holder
*Glitter paint (I got mine here)
*PVA glue (Also from The Works)    
*Paint brush
*Masking tap

1. The first thing you need to do is decide how big you want your stripes to be. I choose to have mine all fairly equal but you can experiment with different designs. I also think this would be really nice in a chevron pattern...

2. Stick your masking tape round the holder in the areas that you don't want the glitter to be. You are now ready to start painting!

3. Grab a brush and start slapping the glitter on. If you can't find glittery paint, you could always just mix some glitter into some of the glue and make your own. I found that I needed about 4 or 5 coats of paint before the glitter was of the intensity I wanted. Again, you can choose how glittery you want your stripes to be. I also painted the front of the butterfly of my holder in glitter.

4. When the glitter paint is completely dry (I left mine over night) CAREFULLY peel off the masking tape. If you do this too quickly you risk having some of the paint come off with the tape...I learnt this the hard way ;)

5. Finally, give your holder a couple of coats of PVA glue to set the glitter paint and voila!

I haven't tried washing my cup yet, but I don't think it will stand up too well to vigorous washing so perhaps just wipe the insides when you really have to. Now I've realised how cheap and easy this was to do nothing is safe from my glitter obsession. Stay tuned for more glitterized creations soon...:)

xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment